.

.

.

.

Thursday 13 December 2012

Why Rosmerta's Cauldron is supporting Dog A.I.D.

The proceeds from the sale of Rosmerta's Cauldron products are donated to the charity Dog Assistance In Disability (A.I.D.)

I would like customers to understand the reasons behind this.



Dog A.I.D. help disabled people to train their pet dogs to Assistance Dog standard, helping them to live independently and accomplish many things without needing to wait for help from a partner, friend or carer.



When someone is disabled, they have a condition that prevents them from carrying out one or more life activities. The aid of an individually trained dog can give a disabled person much of their independence back, allow them to partake in activities that would otherwise be impossible, and maybe even allow them to live alone.



Please check out the videos below for examples of some of the things that Assistance Dogs can do for their disabled owners. Note that my dog is not, at the time of writing, being trained under Dog A.I.D., because they do not have the resources to accept new applicants yet. I am hoping that donations from the sale of my products will contribute to them being able to open their books again. I have been lucky enough to be able to home-train my dog to her current stage with a clicker and treats, but I will certainly need Dog A.I.D.'s help for future stages.




This is Buddy, a dog trained under Dog A.I.D.:






I would also like to talk about the process of making the products, as a disabled person. My dog helps me throughout, pulling open the cupboards I need and picking up anything I drop. She can also warn me before I have a fainting attack, preventing me from dropping a saucepan of scalding wax all over myself!





My body does not produce proper connective tissue, and so my joints and bones are not held in place properly, neither are the walls of my blood vessels and organs strongly kept together. I suffer dislocations several times a day, and must wear joint braces while making products to try and prevent this. I also have to get out of my wheelchair and lie flat on the floor while waiting for the wax to melt, as I cannot sit up straight for very long.



I very much enjoy making candles however, so, although I am not physically up to the job very often, and I have to spend quite a bit of time recovering from the process, I will keep doing it when I can.









No comments:

Post a Comment